This article is related to Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) that was known as Regional Cooperation Development (RCD) since its inauguration until 1985.
- Historical Background | CENTO (Central Treaty Organization) | RCD | ECO (Economic Cooperation Organization)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation – SAARC
- Association of South East Asian Nations – ASEAN
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization – SCO
- Non Aligned Movement – NAM
Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO)
When RCD was formed?
- June 1964
- July 1964
- August 1964
- September 1964
ECO is an initiative of the following countries, namely, Iran, Pakistan and ________.
What is the abbreviation of ECO?
- Economic Central Organization
- Economic Cooperation Organization
- Essential Centralized Organization
- Economic Civilian Operational Wing
When CENTO was formed?
- December, 1955
- January, 1955
- February, 1955
- November, 1955
Where is the headquarter of ECO located?
When RCD was established?
- June 21st, 1964
- July 21st, 1964
- August 21st, 1964
- September 21st, 1964
When Central Treaty Organization was founded?
- January 24th, 1955
- February 24th, 1955
- March 24th, 1955
- April 24th, 1955
Following is the capital of Iraq.
When Iraq withdrew from Baghdad Pact?
- July 14th, 1958
- August 14th, 1958
- September 23rd, 1958
- October 23rd, 1958
How many countries were the members of CENTO?
Why organization dropped the name Baghdad Pact in favor of CENTO.
- Iran left the membership
- change in foreign police
- Iraq left the membership
- UK forcefully removed it
What is the abbreviation of RCD?
- Regional Conference for Development
- Regional Cooperation for Developed Countries
- Regional Conference for Developing Countries
- Regional Cooperation for Development
When RCD was named as ECO?
The membership of ECO is extended to _______ states.
There are __________ landlocked countries that are the members of ECO.
What is the capital of Turkey?
When the membership of ECO was extended?
Who is the current secretary general of ECO?
- Amjad B. Hussain
- Abdul Hassan
- Hassan Rohani
- Hadi Soleimanpour
When 13th summit of Economic Cooperation Organization was held?
- June 1st, 2017
- May 1st, 2017
- April 1st, 2017
- March 1st, 2017
What is the number of Hadi Soleimanpour as the secretary general of ECO?
How many summits of ECO has been held in Pakistan since 1985?
Where thirteenth summit of Economic Cooperation Organization was held?
When was the first summit of ECO held?
- February 16th – 17th , 1992
- March 23rd – 24th , 1992
- April 25th – 26th , 1992
- May 18th – 19th , 1992
Where the first summit of ECO was held?
- Tehran, Iran
- Islamabad, Pakistan
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Ankara, Turkey
Where is the scientific bureau of Economic Cooperation Organization located?
The HQ of Economic Cooperation Organization is located at Tehran (Iran), Scientific Bureau in Pakistan and Economic Bureau in Turkey.
Where is the economic bureau of Economic Cooperation Organization located?
When was the Central Treaty Organization dissolved?
- February 15th, 1979
- March 16th, 1979
- April 17th, 1979
- May 18th, 1979
Choose the first capital of Pakistan?
Economic Cooperation Organization is an international organization that originally formed as RCD (Regional Cooperation for Development) on July 21st, 1964 by three sovereign states, namely, Iran, Pakistan (East & West Pakistan) and Turkey but later on it was renamed as ECO (Economic Cooperation Organization) in 1985.
Historical Background | CENTO (Central Treaty Organization) | RCD | ECO (Economic Cooperation Organization)
Basically, the idea of the formation of RCD came from CENTO (Central Treaty Organization) so we can say it was the initiative of the regional members (Iran, Pakistan and Turkey) of CENTO. The CENTO was formed on February 24th, 1955 as an intergovernmental military alliance of the cold war. Its membership extended to the five sovereign states.
- Pakistan (East and West Pakistan)
- United Kingdom
As Iraq got the membership of CENTO but it never joined ECO) as on July 14th, 1958, the Iraqi monarchy was overthrown is a military coup. The new government was led by General Abdul Karim Qasim who withdrew Iraq from the Baghdad Pact. Iraq opened diplomatic relations with Soviet Union and adopted non-aligned stance. So, organization dropped the name Baghdad Pact in favor of CENTO at that time. Its extinction took place on March 16th, 1979.
Central Treaty Organization or Baghdad Pact or Middle East Treaty Organization, all indicates the same thing i.e. CENTO.
There were three members at that time but later on, in 1992, in the aftermath of collapse of Soviet Unions, besides Afghanistan, six formerly Soviet Union Republics, namely, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan also joined it, forming one of the biggest regional blocs in Asia and beyond.
So, there are 10 members of ECO at present.
Headquarter | Economic Bureau | Scientific Bureau
Headquarter of ECO is located at Tehran, the capital city of Iran; Economic Bureau is located in Turkey and Scientific Bureau is located in Pakistan. The current secretary general is Iranian national Hadi Soleimanpour who is 12th secretary general of ECO.
Thirteen summits have been held so far, being the first in Tehran (capital city of Iran) on February 16th – 17th, 1992 and thirteenth in Islamabad (capital city of Pakistan) on March 1st, 2017.
Activities of ECO are conducted through Directorates under the supervision of Secretary General and his Deputies which considered and evolve projects and programs of mutual benefit in the fields of:
- Industry and Agriculture.
- Trade and Investment.
- Mutually beneficial cooperation with regional and international organizations.
- Sustainable economic development of the member states.
- Development of transport and communications infrastructure linking the member states with each other and with the outside world.
- Mobilization and utilization of ECO region’s material resources.
- Peace and Harmony.
- Energy, minerals and environment.
Principles of Cooperation
- Joint efforts to gain freer access to markets outside the ECO region for the raw materials and finished products of the Member States.
- Common endeavors to develop a harmonized approach for participation in regional and global arrangements.
- Linking of national economic, development plans with ECO’s immediate and long-term objectives to the extent possible.
- Effective utilization of ECO institutions, agreements and cooperative arrangements with other regional and international organizations including multilateral financial institutions.
The ECO region is full of bright trading prospects. Over the past 12 years the member states have been collaborating to accelerate the pace of regional development through their common endeavors.
Despite its young age, ECO has developed into a thriving regional organization. Its international stature is growing. ECO has embarked on several projects in priority sectors of its cooperation including energy, trade, transportation, agriculture and drug control. Nevertheless, the organization faces un-daunting challenges with respect to realization of its objectives and goals. Most importantly, the region is lacking in appropriate infrastructure and institutions which the Organization is seeking to develop, on priority basis, to make full use of the available resources in the region.